Monday, May 15, 2006

Share with Me

Just had my first watermelon of the season. It was perfect.
I remember my grandma never buying a watermelon until the 4th of July "because they might not be good. " It was a big deal. On the 4th, we would all gather out under the huge old willow tree that I spent many hours in as a child, surveying my world and daydreaming.

The smell of huge bushes of wild yellow roses would pervade the air on one side, and lilacs perfumed our world from the other side. Sweet peas lavishly draped the chicken wire fencing around an amazing garden. Fried chicken, fried in a cast iron frying pan tasted heavenly. Garden leaf lettuce graced with bacon drippins' salted perfectly was the crowning touch.

Now, I buy watermelons when I feel like it and eat them when I feel like it until my stomach says, "stop it!" I wish I could have given you the red, inside view, but preserving my precious scanner is more important! Also I noticed a crack in the glass. How did THAT get there? Maybe the same way the windows got opened today while I was at work. I distinctly remember going about closing them all because of the "dust bowl" across the street. We have had three uncanny days without the howling Wyoming wind. Now, I know why in Florida I felt a panic with every lovely day that I could not get enough of that day! I could never get over that feeling despite all the lovely days in Florida. I remember ......... it is because there are not that many "perfect" days here.

1 comment:

Gayzha said...

i love watermelons when they are in season - sweet, crisp and refreshing. i don't like them when they are overripe or soggy... it gives me constipation.

thanks for dropping by my blog...your blog is really nice and i like your layout with blue and white combination. very deep... anyway, have fun blogging!