Wednesday, February 15, 2006

It's a Blue, Blue, Blue Snowstorm

(To the tune of Elvis' "Blue Christmas.")

Sitting here with a bag of heated barley on my feet I can at least say I am warm in my study/bedroom because the wind is blowing the snow from the east. The living room is too cold to sit in now, but the study/bedroom is at least warm. The toasty barley on my feet lessens the pain caused by spasms of the blood vessels in my feet that make my toes turn blue on a regular basis now.

It is easy to relate to a missionary who wrote from Russia about her tears when the first dandelions of spring peaked through the snow.

My sweet daughter called me this morning and was worried about me being all alone in a snow storm that is predicted to last about 10 more days. Bless her - homesickness swept over me as missing her mamma swept over her and we both cried a bit. I (cruel I know) raised my children out here in Wyoming and an aching for them sweeps over me, especially today. I wish I could, just for a night, go back in time to the kitchen where I am preparing supper for all of them, and they are talking, and I look at them, and they are beautiful, and the house is warm and beautiful. Just for a night. I would tell them all how much I love them and what a precious gift it is to be their mom.

The temperature is about 8 degrees and tomorrow is expected to be -1. Streets are mostly left unplowed - 4 wheel drive vehicles really originated out here - just kidding, but maybe? - and visibility is about that of a medium thick fog. The ice clings tightly to the windshield of my car. Making my way out of the apartment to the car, I use a broom handle to find the stairs and step-off into the parking lot. Shoveling of walks, stairs, and parking lot is not a luxury that comes with the apartment. The broom then comes in handy to sweep the car free from snow. Coming home tonight, I sprinkled the forbidden snow melt as I walked so it would not ice underneath the night's coming layers of snow. I am still paying bills from neurosurgery to repair ruptured dics in my neck resulting from a fall in the parking lot a year ago this month. It really hurt, so I have perfected the old-lady shuffle designed for safety on ice.

As I plug in my camera to download the photo of my view across the street from the apartment, wind blows across my hand. Briefly I wonder if cold, icy wind coming in through the outlet could cause one to be electocuted - I can see the headlines now - "....died while attempting to blow dry hair Thursday morning."

Enough of writing - hopefully whoever is reading this blog is not now cold and "blue." I am going to go cook some comfort food before working on a website, then curl up on the couch with a down blanket for the evening.

2 comments:

Heidi Grether said...

I cannot even imagine how cold you are. I thought I was suffering two nights ago when it was a mere 32 degrees here in Fla. Thank God for down comforters, right?

Radical One said...

awwe, my heart aches as you talk about wishing you were back cooking supper for all your children. i'm just now beginning to deal with some of those changing events in life, and it's so difficult trying to mix the bitter with the sweet (seeing their happiness yet dealing with the change of not having them as close as we'd like). anyway, i said a prayer for you as you are dealing with all these life issues.

i've been hearing the news about all the "white" stuff you guys are being hit with. i'm way down here in the south and we rarely even get to see a white ground. i enjoy the snow when it does come, but not quite as much as you all are getting. stay safe and have a blessed day.

lisa

ps-surfed over from hattiegrace.