Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Read to Rev and Read to Sleep

A new discovery: Audible.com

I love to exercise, but hate it because I get really bored. Something Doc "Lovely" had recommended was to use the time to study, "read," and improve yourself mentally as well. He recommended Audible.com. Not being a person of great patience when it comes to time matters, I've never enjoyed listening to someone read - its just too slow, so I haven't followed through until yesterday. Being able to do something while reading sounded just too fun!

Yesterday, I signed up on the site and downloaded the recommended book, a collaborative effort by a different author for each chapter, "The Chopin Manuscript." So far, it has been attention grabbing, not as disjointed as it could be with a different author for each chapter. I love collaborative art pieces, so why not a book? So, I am tolerating the pace, and even finding some relaxation in it.

I also downloaded a book of Cormac McCarthy's and that one is next. Since seeing No Country for Old Men, I've been intrigued by the author. Perhaps I will be able to pursue some contemporary writers - and exercise more at the same time.

I let my self be "read to sleep" last night.

10 comments:

tweetey30 said...

That sounds interesting. On Thursday Jeff and I are going to go to the Y and be taught how to use the equipment finally. yayy..

My World said...

Hello Diana, thank you for your concern, things are going ok...
hopefully by the summer, I will be back up on my feet..... No, nothing
is wrong with my health, I'm a victim of the economy.

I hope all is well with you and your family. Hows the newlyweds
doing... or should I ask.... lol

Take care, I do miss our little chats....

William...

Peace

tshsmom said...

My daughter and SIL are huge fans of audio books. They always download several when they go on road trips. My SIL also loads them onto his MP3 player when he goes for walks.

Candy Minx said...

I enjoy audi books. Actually, when I was ona road trip in 1999 I listened to "A Lesson For the Dying" in my car. I would play it for about an hour every day. I realized that most audio books are 6-8 hours in length...so depending on how fast one reads...they are often faster to listen to than read. It inspired me to read faster so now I do. But I liked the use of time...to be exercising or commuting and listening to a book . Especially driving it really broke up the long distance.

Candy Minx said...

Oh what McCarthy book is it? I used to have "all the Pretty Horses" read by Brad Pitt!

Wandering Coyote said...

My brother swears by audio books. He downloads them, splits them into smaller files, and then puts them on his iPod and listens away. He walks to work with it on, falls to sleep with it on, sits at his drafting table to do his art and listens to it...etc. When I was living there, he'd often play it on the stereo and I found it quite distracting. Some of the narrators sounded strange when they read aloud.

But - whatever works for you! I find the gym way more enjoyable now that I have an MP3 player full of my favourite music!

The Preacherman said...

I'd recommend http://clarityofnight.blogspot.com for short stories (the fact I've entered their latest competition - mine's #80 by the way) has no baring on this recommendation ;-)

I'd also recommend an audio book. David Niven reading his autobiography "The Moon's A Balloon". Hysterical.

Hang in there William. There's a lot of victims out there right now. Good luck mate

punxxi said...

I know a lot of people that play audible books in their cars when they are driving, especially long drives . I get books on cd for my son David, since he can not really read due to his disability, they are free at the library, so you might check that out, also.

Gardenia said...

William, I hope too you will be back up by summer - its going to be an interesting year. I find myself wearing two layers of clothing and foregoing the furnace - good thing i'm not in a really cold climate....i think things are going better at the newlyweds house if my little "thermometer" is any indication....

thanks for all the tips on the audible books - - - everyone ...
Oh, Candy - "The Road."

Babe said...

Too cool!!
I simply MUST check that out!