Monday, December 11, 2006

Lentils and Lethal Weapons

Yum yum lentil soup. Minus the $3.99 red pepper. Are red peppers that expensive where you all live? Wow. Why do lentils, beans, etc., all say to sort and wash? Sort what - why do they sometimes have rocks and little pieces of mud in them? Why aren't they sorted and washed before packaging. Its a little bit like buying dirty underwear, isn't it? Yeh, I do have a lot of questions.

I'm actually cooking tonight. Last night dinner was green chili sour cream dip and tortillas. Store bought. But tonight I also have a recipe for orange date bars as well as the lentil salad. More yum.

One more suitcase to pack. Tomorrow I go find boxes and bubble wrap for my pottery pieces. Why, oh why did I ever bring those? I got a box from my daughter today full of yummy skin stuff which is great because it is so dry here that your skin gets sore and falls off. Well, almost. It does get sore, red, cracked, wrinkled - etc., etc.

Also in the box were pics of grandchildren, beautiful grandchildren. I'm not posting the pics for now, cuz ya' all know why, but I can't wait to see them. I hope my new camera battery arrives by then. Hubby says oranges aren't quite ready to pick yet. I said, "Wait for Nan!" Picking oranges with grandkids has become a nice Christmas ritual.

Called the airline a bit ago to ask for wheelchair, and it was hillarious as I was on hold forever, but some of the tidbits to keep one interested were as follows:

Any toiletries must be in 3 ounce containers and put into quart size plastic bags. OK? (Quart size bags are wonderful protection from liquid bombs.) Are the airlines merging with the sandwich bag companies?

New drinks are being offered, something about a super martini. Sounded delicous. Well, three or four of those would take your mind off a body cavity search for weapons like film canister openers, would it not? Nah, my whole family will be waiting - I don't want to slosh off the plane and breath straight alcohol into their faces.

I can't wait to face up to the TSA people - that is the T__tty patters (underwire bras ya know). Ya might wriggle one out (wire, that is) and strangle the guy in front of you. Ya know how threatening grandmas can be. It might be what the underwire is holding up that is the lethal weapon. Yuck, yuck.

Last time I flew, three TSA people scared me to death over a film canister opener about the size of small nail nippers, which according to the TSA website were acceptable, however a disclaimer did note that any TSA agent could declare any item a lethal weapon, which whether you know it is in your possession or not is a criminal offense. 'Tis true.

Is it me, or are people just getting meaner? I know in the past few months here, its been like dealing with, as my grandma says, "ol' bears with sore pee pees" Ok, ok, time to go wash my mouth out with soap, and finish the lentil salad.

Here's the recipe if you want:
1 cup dried lentils
1 medium sized carrot, finely diced or 1/4 cup
6 green onions, thinkly slice
l celery stalk finely diced
1/2 red bell pepper finely diced
1/2 cup cilantro leaves finely chopped
1/2 cup italian parsely leaves fine chopped
1 clove garlic minced
l tsp lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
romain lettuce leaves for garnish

Cook lentils till just tender. Cool.
Toss lentils, carrot, green onions, celery, bell pepper, (I've done without that one), cilantro, parsely, garlic and lemon zest in large bowl. Drizzel with lemon juice and olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Set on lettuce leaves.

G'night, ya'll.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't envy your airport adventure but hope you have a great trip. Yes, red, yellow and orange bell peppers are crazy expensive here but those nasty green ones that give me heartburn are cheap. And I've got no idea why there are rocks in our beans, but I don't think it'll bear much scrutiny. :)

tshsmom said...

Yup, red peppers are $3.99/lb here too. Green ones($.79 apiece for any size) taste the same, they're just not as pretty.
My Dad lets the peppers in his garden turn red. He always gives me a few, which I freeze and save for "company" dinners, where I want to jazz up the appearance of a meal.

mister anchovy said...

tuffy has been eating truckloads of lentils lately....I don't quite see the attraction.....

**Ya Think** said...

Hi there,

I am sorry I have not been keeping up with your blog, or mine for that matter. When Kristy Green from Baggs, Wyoming sent me the threatening and hostile email I really found it earth shattering and backed up from the web. It is a shame a few people can shatter such a wonderful thing.

Do you recognize this email address as it is the one she emailed me on? farmergreen@dpeworld.com

Additionally I noticed she has a blog and has a link back to your blog. Did you authorize this or is she stalking you? http://mrsgridesagain.blogspot.com/

I took th liberty of looking at your site meter and she seems to be hitting your blog several times a day AFTER the attacking email to me and the offensive post on your blog. A little obsessed? hmmmmm

Well anyway I have to go. I bought a house so I have a lot of work to do on it.

I hope life is treating you well.

Caringly
RainbowSister

Gardenia said...

Good to hear from you again rainbow sister. I'm sorry this was hard for you to take, it has been sort of a thorn in my side too. Now, a blog of her own to stalk me with? I still don't understand what this woman's obsession with me is. Perhaps she is just upset because she didn't win the election in Baggs and I am a handy virtual punching bag. Maybe she wants my job, haha, who knows.

I was going to take my blog down, and even started, but I decided I am not going to let anyone have that kind of power over my life.

I'm so glad that you got your house, its long overdue. Send a pic when you can.

Gardenia said...

tshsmom, mmmmm home grown red peppers..........

Bridget Jones said...

Love lentils (high fiber, they clean your arteries, make you feel less hungry, are high protein)! But am allergic in the extreme to peppers, sadly. Have no idea why you have to wash them but after what's been happening with spinach and green onions, hey I'll wash everything!

Thanks for the recipe, it looks great even sans peppers!

Stay safe....please....

**Ya Think** said...

Hey there,

I am truly glad you have elected not to kill your blog over one person running amuck. You know you are right about not giving her that type of power... Some advice I could use for myself about now. I don't know why she is behaving in the way she is behaving... Perhaps she is angry at the world, or perhaps past harms are dictating how she treats others today, perhaps she has the need to be perceived as important to her peers, or perhaps she truly does want your job. In any case her behavior is unacceptable and at this point her own behaviors are not acceptable for a person who has held a city or county office.

Nuff said about her!! She is not worth it.

Thanks for the thumbs up on my house. At this age and the increase in prices of property I had pretty well given up on the possibilty of ever being able to buy a home. Had I drawn a picture of what I wanted when I was saving up for it in the past, this could not have come closer... Fixed up of course.