Sunday, April 01, 2007

Weeds are not always Ugly

An early morning walk in the yard this morning to check our native plant patch netted this new bloomer - Spiderwort, considered an invasive plant in Florida, but charming in my patch with its delicacy. Bumble bees were already at work in some other plants. One of the banana trees seems to have survived, perhaps the other will soon come peeking through the old brown dead leaves. I love gardening, it is a quiet communication between me and creation, an intimate connection of mutual respect and silent thanksgiving for just being alive. Spiderwort illustrates that even weeds can be beautiful and thriving.


Feel as if I've nothing much to blog. Thought I would have gorgeous pics of the southern Alabama countryside by today, but as we prepared for the trip, I realized my chest hurt awfully bad and I was short of breath. I ignored it and we loaded up. We stopped at a popular restaurant for salad bar and neither of us could eat. My head was spinning still - even after two pints of blood!

So I called my daughter and she chewed me out for always doing too much and insisted I go to the emergency room. Oh no, not more hospital! Was she only trying to get even with me for all the times I insisted she take the kids to the doctor and nothing was wrong? (Family joke.)

I went home and took a nap and woke up feeling the same, so referenced the release papers from the day before. Ok, there they were - three of the symptoms that I was supposed to call the doctor about should they occur. Called doctor and received same instructions as I did from daughters. Soooooooooooo, back to the hospital I go. Another day shot all to pieces.

Seems I had a mild reaction to the transfusion and while looking for blood clots in the lungs, they decided I had an inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs. Oh fun, and I have to go to work tomorrow. More scolding from daughter about doing too much - well, I refuse to let life sit out there all by itself without me in it! The eerie thing is, is that my granddaughter is suffering from the same thing with the cartilage/ribs - perhaps it is just a new popular diagnosis (costochondritis) for chest pains. Maybe I could get a job being studied for annoying health things that happen to people.

No comments: